Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Improve on Your Past Client Follow-up

I think most of us have had that sleepless night or point of stress where you think to yourself, am I doing enough to keep in touch with my past clients? You may be thinking, "Man, it's been two years, I really need to stop-by Jim's house", or "I wish I could remember to drive by and see them". At some point, if your career is about helping folks buy and sell homes, you've thought about ways to keep in touch with your past clients.

Here's an idea that has worked great for me. Print out a list with all the addresses of the homes you have sold. Leave this list in your car, or, if you're really OCD, plug them into your GPS so the little flag thing will show up on your map as you are tooling around town. You will be amazed at how often your business or personal life takes you within a few miles of a past client. From there, it's simple, stop the car and say hello. Now, your brain will give you 15 reasons to not stop the car. You'll hear voices, "I need a bottle of wine, a pizza, or something to give them." The truth is you do not need any of that. Do you know what you will be bringing these people, your past clients? A sincere hello. Let's face it, that is what most of us in this world want. Just someone to notice us and say hi.

Let's practice, "Hey there Jim, I was just in the area and wanted to stop by and say hello." That's it. Simple and sincere. And the best part about it? They'll know you are being sincere, because you won't be lying. You can really say, I was just in the area and couldn't leave without stopping by quickly to say hello and check on the family.

Give it a shot! Better yet commit to it and email your results to me over the next month. My guess is you will be surprised at how many past clients you can visit within your daily routine. Just remember to actually stop the car. By the third or fourth one it will be like an old habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment